26 décembre 2018 | Local, Terrestre

Saudi Arabia gets arms despite Canada's pledge to halt deal

AhlulBayt News Agency (ABNA): A consignment of armored vehicles has left Canada for Saudi Arabia despite Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's declaration that Ottawa was ready to halt a $13 billion arms deal with Riyadh.

Military manufacturer General Dynamic Land Systems Canada has been contracted to deliver 742 armored vehicles to the kingdom whose war on Yemen has recently come under increased scrutiny.

Canada has been exporting arms to Saudi Arabia based on the 2014 contract won by the Canadian unit of US weapons maker General Dynamics Corp.

On Sunday, a cargo ship loaded with armored vehicles left the port of Saint John for Saudi Arabia, a day after protesters gathered in the rain and fog to condemn the shipment, Canada's leading daily the Globe and Mail reported.

The protesters held signs and passed out pamphlets detailing concerns about the Saudi-led war in Yemen, which the United Nations has called the world's worst humanitarian crisis, the paper said.

The cargo was apparently delayed for a day after longshoremen refused to cross the protest line, forfeiting their day's wages, it added.

The longshoremen, the paper said, could face repercussions from their employer for their decision not to cross the protest, even though the combat vehicles were eventually transported.

The shipment came even though Trudeau said in October that Canada was ready to halt the arms deal with Saudi Arabia if it concluded the weapons had been misused.

"We strongly demand and expect that Canadian exports are used in a way that fully respects human rights," Trudeau said in the parliament.

"We have frozen export permits before when we had concerns about their potential misuse and we will not hesitate to do so again," he added.

His remarks, however, drew a warning from General Dynamics Corp which warned Canada against stopping the sales.

"Were Canada to unilaterally terminate the contract, Canada would incur billions of dollars of liability to General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada," it said.

David Perry, defense analyst at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute, called the warning “unusual” at the time.

He said General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada would normally keep a very low profile. "I can't imagine they are anything other than extremely worried," he said.

Trudeau, himself, had previously acknowledged that there would be “huge penalties” if Ottawa turned its back on the deal.

The Canadian premier, known for trying to portray himself as a human rights advocate, has been under pressure to scrap the deal inked by the previous government.

Besides killing tens of thousands of people, the Saudi war has brought the impoverished country close to the edge of a nationwide famine.

http://en.abna24.com/news//saudi-arabia-gets-arms-despite-canadas-pledge-to-halt-deal_921936.html

Sur le même sujet

  • First Ever Narrated Cockpit Tour and Aerial Refueling Video From The U.S. Air Force’s B-2 Stealth Bomber In-Flight

    30 juillet 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

    First Ever Narrated Cockpit Tour and Aerial Refueling Video From The U.S. Air Force’s B-2 Stealth Bomber In-Flight

    DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the first time in the 30-year history of the Air Force's B-2 stealth bomber program, a cockpit tour narrated by the pilot in-flight, as well as a start to finish aerial refueling video recently filmed in a B-2A “Spirit” stealth bomber cockpit while in-flight, is available for viewing at JeffBolton.org. The video is a product of Dallas-based film producer and radio personality Jeff Bolton, who is the only person in the 30-year history of the program to be allowed to fly and film in the ultra-secret jet. Bolton is working in partnership with Defense News in producing a multi-media series about the United States military's nuclear arsenal. The B-2 stealth bomber is a multi-role heavy bomber capable of deploying both conventional and nuclear weapons anywhere in the world from its home base at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri. “It's no coincidence that the B-2 bomber's capabilities are being highlighted here in this new era of rising nation-state tensions between the United States, China, Russia, North Korea and Iran. This new in-flight cockpit video – demonstrating the global reach of the B-2 with aerial refueling – is why the B-2 remains one of the most feared weapons in the world,” said producer Jeff Bolton. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190729005196/en

  • France Hébert appointed VP of Defence and Security for CAE Canada

    7 novembre 2019 | Local, Aérospatial, Naval, Terrestre, C4ISR, Sécurité

    France Hébert appointed VP of Defence and Security for CAE Canada

    CAE has announced the appointment of France Hébert to the position of vice-president, Defence and Security for the Canada region. Hébert will be taking on the position on Nov. 4, 2019 and she will report to Marc-Olivier Sabourin, vice-president, Defence and Security, CAE International. Hébert will lead the Defence and Security (D&S) business in Canada, shaping the vision and the operational and commercial strategy for the division, which includes 14 sites across the country. She will strategically position CAE to win large-scale procurement opportunities and continue to protect and maintain our leading position in the military training systems and solutions in Canada with our current programs. As an influential leader, she will be CAE's representative for D&S Canada with the federal Government and Canadian stakeholders. Over the course of her career, Hébert has held senior positions in strategy, business development and operations. She brings extensive leadership experience with a proven track record on complex, billion-dollar defence and aerospace programs. Through her varied career, she was an officer in the Canadian Armed Forces and worked for three companies playing major roles in Canada, namely: Bombardier, Nortel and General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada (GDMS-C). Since 2017, Hébert was head of the land C4ISR business area for General Dynamics Mission Systems Canada, Ottawa. She was fully accountable for the line of business including all aspects of execution, operations and finance of the Canadian division. CAE is certain that Hébert's vast experience, knowledge and versatility will greatly contribute to the success of the Canada region. CAE would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Joe Armstrong, who continued to lead the Canada region along with his current role as vice-president, Business Operations while we were recruiting for the position. https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/france-hebert-appointed-vp-of-defence-and-security-for-cae-canada/

  • Succès pour notre formation sur le marché américain !

    5 novembre 2019 | Local, Aérospatial, Naval, Terrestre, C4ISR, Sécurité

    Succès pour notre formation sur le marché américain !

    Une quinzaine de personnes issues de dix entreprises ont participé à ces sessions de formation animées par McCarter & English, LLP. Merci à Daniel Kelly et Zlatko Hadzismajlovic pour avoir partagé leur expertise sur les bases de l'accès au marché américain et des relations d'affaires avec le gouvernement américain (réglementation, exportations, propriété intellectuelle, cybersécurité...). Merci aussi à Andrea Townrow, directrice de l'antenne du Québec à Philadelphie, d'être venue se joindre à nous. https://lnkd.in/gbgQzeS

Toutes les nouvelles