23 septembre 2021 | Local, Aérospatial

DSEI 2021: Lockheed Martin awaits verdicts on bids as it reiterates flight cost success for F-35

US manufacturer Lockheed Martin claims to have slashed operating costs for its flagship F-35 platform, as it waits for a decision on two important fighter competitions.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air-warfare/dsei-2021-lockheed-martin-awaits-verdicts-on-bids/

Sur le même sujet

  • Plan to buy more fighter jets puts Canada on hook for bigger share of F-35 costs

    31 janvier 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

    Plan to buy more fighter jets puts Canada on hook for bigger share of F-35 costs

    Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press  OTTAWA -- Canada is being forced to shoulder a bigger share of the costs of developing F-35 fighter jets even though it has not decided whether it will actually buy any. Canada is one of nine partner countries in the F-35 project, each of which is required to cover a portion of the stealth fighter's multibillion-dollar development costs to stay at the table. Each country pays based on the number of F-35s it's expecting to buy. Canada has pitched in more than half-a-billion dollars over the last 20 years, including $54 million last year. But that amount was based on the Stephen Harper government's plan to buy 65 new fighter jets to replace Canada's aging CF-18s, which the Trudeau government has since officially increased to 88. Even though Canada has not committed that those 88 jets will be F-35s, the Department of National Defence says that change means it will have to pay more to remain a partner -- including about $72 million this year. "Canada's costs under the F-35 (partnership agreement) are based on an intended fleet size," Defence Department spokeswoman Ashley Lemire said in an email. "Canada changed its fleet size within the F-35 (agreement) from 65 to 88 aircraft to align with government decisions on the size of the intended permanent fighter fleet to be acquired through competition and the payment increased accordingly." As each partner contribution is determined annually, based on the overall cost of the F-35 development program for that specific year, Lemire said she could not provide details how much more Canada will have to pay. The F-35's development costs have been a constant source of criticism over the life of the stealth-fighter program, which Canada first joined under the Chretien government in 1997. The entire program is believed to have already cost more than US$1 trillion. The Trudeau government says it plans to keep Canada in the F-35 development effort until a replacement for the CF-18s is chosen -- partners in the development work can buy the planes at a lower price and compete for work associated with their production and long-term maintenance. Canadian companies have so far won more than $1.2 billion in contracts related to the F-35, according to the government. The F-35 is one of four planes slated to participate in the $19-billion competition that the government plans to launch this spring, the others being Boeing's Super Hornet, Eurofighter's Typhoon and Saab's Gripen. The competition isn't scheduled to select a winner until 2021 or 2022, meaning Canada will be on the hook for several more payments. The first new aircraft is expected in 2025 and the last in 2031, when the CF-18s will be phased out. F-35 maker Lockheed Martin says more than 350 of the stealth fighters have been delivered to different countries, while Israel became the first country to use the plane in combat last year when two of the jets struck targets in neighbouring Syria. Acting U.S. defence secretary Patrick Shanahan, a former Boeing executive, nonetheless criticized the program on Monday, saying it "has room for a lot more performance." "I am biased toward performance," he was quoted as saying when asked if he is biased toward Boeing. "I am biased toward giving the taxpayer their money's worth. And the F-35, unequivocally, I can say, has a lot of opportunity for more performance." https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/plan-to-buy-more-fighter-jets-puts-canada-on-hook-for-bigger-share-of-f-35-costs-1.4275372

  • Les jeunes entreprises innovantes du Québec sont invitées à participer au Défi propulsion DEC

    23 janvier 2019 | Local, Aérospatial, Naval, Terrestre, C4ISR, Sécurité

    Les jeunes entreprises innovantes du Québec sont invitées à participer au Défi propulsion DEC

    Le gouvernement du Canada accordera jusqu’à 500 000 $ à des jeunes entreprises innovantes du Québec Le 23 janvier 2019 – Montréal (Québec) – Développement économique Canada pour les régions du Québec (DEC) L’audace et l’ingéniosité des jeunes entrepreneurs innovants sont essentielles pour propulser le Québec dans l’économie de demain. C’est pourquoi le gouvernement du Canada lance aujourd’hui une nouvelle initiative pour les aider à concrétiser leurs projets d’affaires : le Défi propulsion DEC. Ce concours permettra aux jeunes entrepreneurs dynamiques de saisir les occasions offertes par des conditions économiques et technologiques en constante évolution. En lançant aujourd’hui le Défi, le ministre des Transports et député de Notre-Dame-de-Grâce—Westmount, l’honorable Marc Garneau, invite les jeunes de partout au Québec ayant la fibre entrepreneuriale et qui œuvrent dans les secteurs de pointe à soumettre, du 8 février au 1er avril 2019, leur plan d’affaires à Développement économique Canada pour les régions du Québec (DEC). En mai 2019, 20 entreprises finalistes seront invitées à présenter les projets les plus prometteurs à un jury d’experts. Les 10 meilleurs projets se verront remettre un prix de 50 000 $ pour concrétiser leur projet d’affaires. Les détails du Défi sont disponibles au canada.ca/defi-propulsion-dec. Citations « Le talent, particulièrement le talent entrepreneurial, est une importante ressource. Nous voulons favoriser l’émergence de nouvelles entreprises en investissant directement dans le développement des talents et des habiletés des Québécoises et des Québécois. Par cette initiative, notre gouvernement permettra à des jeunes de tous les coins du Québec de lancer leur entreprise et de concrétiser leur projet. » L’honorable Marc Garneau, député de Notre-Dame-de-Grâce—Westmount et ministre des Transports « Des initiatives comme le Défi propulsion DEC stimulent les entreprises innovantes à concrétiser leurs projets. En se dotant de la Stratégie fédérale d’innovation et de croissance pour les régions du Québec, le gouvernement du Canada a mis en place une approche ambitieuse pour stimuler l’innovation et la croissance pour tous. Il s’agit d’un engagement ferme pour contribuer au développement d’une culture d’innovation et, à terme, à la création de plus d’emplois de qualité pour les Québécois. » L’honorable Navdeep Bains, ministre responsable de DEC Faits en bref L’annonce d’aujourd’hui est faite au nom de l’honorable Navdeep Bains, ministre responsable du portefeuille de l’Innovation, des Sciences et du Développement économique, qui regroupe 17 ministères et organismes fédéraux, dont DEC et les cinq autres agences de développement régional. Le Défi propulsion DEC est une initiative qui découle de la Stratégie fédérale d’innovation et de croissance pour les régions du Québec. Pilotée par DEC, avec la participation d’autres ministères fédéraux, la Stratégie cible quatre priorités et quatorze pistes d’intervention pour favoriser l’adoption et le développement de pratiques innovatrices et assurer la croissance pour tous et pour toutes les régions du Québec. Les fonds ont été consentis en vertu du programme Croissance économique régionale par l’innovation (CERI) de DEC. Pour en savoir davantage sur DEC et ses priorités, consultez le Plan ministériel 2018-2019 ou visitez le www.dec-ced.gc.ca. Depuis maintenant 50 ans, le gouvernement du Canada participe activement au développement économique régional au Québec : un demi-siècle d’actions concrètes consacrées à l’essor des régions et des entreprises d’ici. https://www.canada.ca/fr/developpement-economique-regions-quebec/nouvelles/2019/01/les-jeunes-entreprises-innovantes-du-quebec-sont-invitees-a-participer-au-defi-propulsion-dec.html

  • Canada forced to pay bigger share of F-35 fighter jet development costs — even though it may never buy any

    31 janvier 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

    Canada forced to pay bigger share of F-35 fighter jet development costs — even though it may never buy any

    OTTAWA — Canada is being forced to shoulder a bigger share of the costs of developing F-35 fighter jets even though it has not decided whether it will actually buy any. Canada is one of nine partner countries in the F-35 project, each of which is required to cover a portion of the stealth fighter’s multibillion-dollar development costs to stay at the table. Each country pays based on the number of F-35s it’s expecting to buy. Canada has pitched in more than half-a-billion dollars over the last 20 years, including $54 million last year. But that amount was based on the Stephen Harper government’s plan to buy 65 new fighter jets to replace Canada’s aging CF-18s, which the Trudeau government has since officially increased to 88. Even though Canada has not committed that those 88 jets will be F-35s, the Department of National Defence says that change means it will have to pay more to remain a partner — including about $72 million this year. “Canada’s costs under the F-35 (partnership agreement) are based on an intended fleet size,” Defence Department spokeswoman Ashley Lemire said in an email. “Canada changed its fleet size within the F-35 (agreement) from 65 to 88 aircraft to align with government decisions on the size of the intended permanent fighter fleet to be acquired through competition and the payment increased accordingly.” The F-35’s development costs have been a constant source of criticism over the life of the stealth-fighter program, which Canada first joined under the Chretien government in 1997. The entire program is believed to have already cost more than US$1 trillion. The Trudeau government says it plans to keep Canada in the F-35 development effort until a replacement for the CF-18s is chosen — partners in the development work can buy the planes at a lower price and compete for work associated with their production and long-term maintenance. Canadian companies have so far won more than $1.2 billion in contracts related to the F-35, according to the government. The F-35 is one of four planes slated to participate in the $19-billion competition that the government plans to launch this spring, the others being Boeing’s Super Hornet, Eurofighter’s Typhoon and Saab’s Gripen. The competition isn’t scheduled to select a winner until 2021 or 2022, meaning Canada will be on the hook for several more payments. The first new aircraft is expected in 2025 and the last in 2031, when the CF-18s will be phased out. F-35 maker Lockheed Martin says more than 350 of the stealth fighters have been delivered to different countries, while Israel became the first country to use the plane in combat last year when two of the jets struck targets in neighbouring Syria. Acting U.S. defence secretary Patrick Shanahan, a former Boeing executive, nonetheless criticized the program on Monday, saying it “has room for a lot more performance.” “I am biased toward performance,” he was quoted as saying when asked if he is biased toward Boeing. “I am biased toward giving the taxpayer their money’s worth. And the F-35, unequivocally, I can say, has a lot of opportunity for more performance.” https://ottawacitizen.com/news/world/plan-to-buy-more-fighter-jets-puts-canada-on-hook-for-bigger-share-of-f-35-costs/wcm/efec8576-c36f-40cf-922a-2bb324352388

Toutes les nouvelles