4 septembre 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

Sweden’s Saab undecided on whether it will participate in Canadian fighter-jet competition

Sweden’s Saab undecided on whether it will participate in Canadian fighter-jet competition

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Days after Airbus Defence and Space pulled out of the $19-billion race to replace Canada's aging fighter jets, the only European firm still eligible to compete says it has not decided whether it will.

Saab Canada president Simon Carroll says the Swedish firm is interested in entering its Gripen jet against its two remaining competitors, both of which are from the United States: Boeing's Super Hornet and Lockheed Martin's F-35.

However, Mr. Carroll told The Canadian Press on Tuesday that his company is still analyzing the competition's nitty-gritty details – including a security requirement that forced out two other European jet makers.

All bidders are required to explain by Sept. 20 how they plan to ensure their planes can integrate with the top-secret Canada-U.S. intelligence network known as “Two Eyes,” which is used to co-ordinate the defence of North America.

But in announcing its withdrawal from the competition on Friday, Airbus said meeting the requirement would place “too significant of a cost” on non-U.S. aircraft. French firm Dassault cited the same requirement when it pulled its Rafale jet in November.

“We are still looking at that security assessment side of things from the Two-Eyes perspective,” Mr. Carroll said.

“We don't see any major issues with it as this point in time. Having said that, we're still reviewing everything through the whole [request for proposals] at this point in time and we will reserve the right to make our judgment on whether or not we provide a bid.”

Airbus also raised concerns about changes to a long-standing policy that requires bidders on military contracts to legally commit to invest as much money in Canadian products and operations as they get out of contracts they win.

Bidders can now instead establish “industrial targets,” lay out a plan for achieving those targets and sign non-binding agreements promising to make all efforts to achieve them. Such bids do suffer penalties when the bids are scored, but are not rejected outright.

That change followed U.S. complaints the previous policy violated an agreement Canada signed in 2006 to become one of nine partner countries in developing the F-35. The agreement says companies in the partner countries will compete for work associated with purchases of the planes.

While Saab has previously raised its own concerns about the change, saying it would shortchange Canadian taxpayers and industry, Mr. Carroll said it was “not a hurdle” and that “we think we have a very good offering for what we can offer in Canada.”

Even participating in the competition is not a cheap proposition for fighter-jet makers; while Carroll would not speak to the potential cost to Saab, analysts have previously pegged the cost in the millions of dollars.

While companies are expected to submit their plans to meet the Two Eyes security requirement on Sept. 20, the government has said it will provide feedback and let bidders amend their submissions.

Final bids aren't expected until next winter, with a formal contract signed in 2022. The first plane won't arrive until at least 2025. Successive federal government have been working to replace Canada's CF-18s for more than a decade.

Mr. Carroll praised the government for being transparent as it has worked for years to launch the competition, which followed an aborted attempt between 2010 and 2012 to buy F-35s without a competition.

“We're supportive of the government processes and what they've done moving forward,” he said.

“The transparency from the government has been very good. They've given ample opportunity for us to review documents. They've been very open in saying that these are the dates and these are the times.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-swedens-saab-undecided-on-whether-it-will-participate-in-canadian/

Sur le même sujet

  • Unmanned Systems Canada announces #UC20Remote Virtual Conference

    22 mai 2020 | Local, Aérospatial

    Unmanned Systems Canada announces #UC20Remote Virtual Conference

    Unmanned Systems Canada/Systèmes Télécommandés Canada (USC-STC) recently announced that its 18th annual Unmanned Canada Conference and Exhibition will be presented virtually this year, allowing for an even greater variety of keynotes and content from Canadian and international experts – with none of the concerns associated with COVID-19. USC-STC's online conference, UC20Remote, will take place at the same time planned for its physical conference – early November 2020. “Taking UnmannedCanada.20 online will equal or surpass our established tradition of exceptional conference experience and content,” said conference chair Jordan Cicoria. “The virtual venue allows us to bring experts from around the globe together in a way never before possible.” USC-STC's conference committee made the decision after carefully weighing the benefits of offering a virtual conference experience during the COVID-19 era. Those benefits include: The ability to provide an equivalent, high-quality conference experience with our usual high standard of keynotes and speakers; New option to access conference proceedings and materials post-event; Multiple ticket choices during a year when many companies expect to see budgets for travel and conference slashed; Value for sponsors and exhibitors with the virtual exhibition floor. The UC20Remote conference — as with other annual USC-STC events — will gather key providers, thought leaders, and regulators from the unmanned industry around the globe. “We can assure attendees this will be a memorable and high-quality event at price points suitable for every budget,” said USC-STC chair Michael Cohen. “I look forward to welcoming familiar faces — and new ones — for a spectacular online gathering this November.” https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/unmanned-systems-canada-announces-uc20remote-virtual-conference

  • With resources stretched, Canadian navy warships out of NATO forces for first time since 2014

    10 août 2022 | Local, Naval

    With resources stretched, Canadian navy warships out of NATO forces for first time since 2014

    Experts say it's part of the growing trade-offs Canada is having to make with its navy, which has a shrinking fleet of aging ships and a lack of trained sailors

  • RCAF commander recaps 2018

    2 janvier 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

    RCAF commander recaps 2018

    The following is excerpted from the 2018 holiday message that LGen Al Meinzinger, commander of the RCAF, sent to Air Force personnel and the extended RCAF family. We can honestly say that 2018 has been an extraordinary year for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). The year was bookended by the Sea King, with the last east coast operational flight of our maritime helicopter taking place in January and the official farewell and final flights taking place in December. It's hard to say farewell to an old friend such as the Sea King, but the Cyclone is proving to be a tremendous asset to the RCAF and the Royal Canadian Navy, and the first operational deployment of the Cyclone onboard HMCS Ville de Quebec was a tremendous milestone. This year also brought our participation in a major UN peacekeeping operation, with stellar work being carried out by our Air Task Force personnel in Mali under Op Presence. We also continued our contributions to Op Caribbe and Op Impact. On the space aspect of “air and space power,” we are now an integral part of the Combined Space Operations Centre in California, with a member of the RCAF serving as the combined deputy director. Meanwhile, at home, our ongoing, essential search and rescue (SAR) missions continued, as well as sovereignty operations and exercises in the North. We responded to several Op Lentus missions, including fires in British Columbia and Manitoba, flooding in Kaschechewan, Ont., and storm damage on les Îles de la Madeleine. We also participated in marking a number of significant anniversaries this year, including the 60th anniversary of NORAD. We also marked the 100th anniversary of the Royal Air Force and, as part of those celebrations, sent a contingent to the United Kingdom to undertake Public Duties–guarding the residences of Her Majesty the Queen. 2018 also brought the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War, as well as the 75th anniversary of the Dambusters Raid. In April, I was privileged to attend the opening of the International Bomber Command Centre in England, which is mandated to preserve and honour the memory of all those who served in the Command. I was reminded powerfully of the courageous contributions of our RCAF personnel, noting that we lost some 10,000 RCAF personnel during the bombing campaign. As we look forward to 2019, we must continue to focus on our anchor points: our people, our defence policy, our program and our posture. First and foremost among these are you, our people. Successful delivery of air and space power relies on well-led, robust, healthy and inclusive squadrons and tactical units. You and your families are our lifeblood, and your leaders will continue to create the right conditions to support you, retain your exceptional talents and attract personnel with the right skills and energy to continue your excellent work and move us into the future. We are extremely grateful for and proud of your enthusiasm, your dedicated service and your unparalleled professionalism. You may also rest assured that your work is deeply appreciated by Canadians, by your colleagues throughout the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence, and by our allies. https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/rcaf-commander-recaps-2018

Toutes les nouvelles