25 février 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

Canada bids for mothballed prototype drone from Germany

BERLIN (Reuters) - The German Defence Ministry is evaluating a bid from Canada to buy a high-altitude surveillance drone that has been parked at a German air base for years after the cancellation of the Euro Hawk program in 2013, with a further bid possible from NATO.

Canada has submitted a formal bid for the prototype aircraft, which was stripped of key equipment and demilitarized by the United States in 2017, a ministry spokesman said on Wednesday without providing further details.

Canadian media have reported that Canada could use the drone, built by Northrop Grumman, to monitor oil spills, ice levels and marine habitats in the remote Arctic region.

NATO, which is buying its own fleet of Northrop drones, is also considering a bid for the mothballed German aircraft but has not yet submitted it, said sources familiar with the process. NATO had no immediate comment.

There was no immediate reply from the Canadian government.

A sale of the drone would end an embarrassing chapter that raised concerns about the German military’s procurement process and triggered the transfer of former Defence Minister Thomas de Maiziere to another cabinet post.

Berlin told lawmakers last year that it had spent about 700 million euros ($793.5 million) on the Euro Hawk prototype, and the ISIS surveillance system built by Airbus.

Berlin initiated plans in 2000 to buy five Euro Hawk drones based on Northrop’s Global Hawk unmanned system at a cost of about 1.2 billion euros but later canceled the program because of cost overruns and problems obtaining certification for use in civilian airspace in Germany.

It had only received the one prototype aircraft that is now being sold.

Berlin is now negotiating with Northrop to buy several MQ-4C Triton drones for delivery after 2025. Northrop last year said the process could take years to complete.

German opposition lawmaker Andrej Hunko, a member of the radical Left party, said the government had declared the aircraft incapable of flight after the U.S. Air Force removed U.S. built radio equipment and other key systems when it demilitarized the aircraft in 2017.

“The airplane has salvage value at best,” he told Reuters.

“Any proceeds from the sale would be a drop in the bucket, compared with the huge amounts spent on the program.”

For NATO, the drone could provide additional support to the fleet of five high-altitude unmanned Global Hawk planes it agreed to buy from Northrop in 2012 for $1.7 billion, along with transportable ground stations.

Industry officials said the Euro Hawk saga underscored problems in military procurement, noting that NATO’s sister aircraft regularly traverse German air space to conduct surveillance missions over the North Sea. They also have no blanket approval for use in German civilian airspace but use case-by-case permissions from air traffic authorities.

It was not immediately clear what steps would be needed to return the Euro Hawk prototype to flight.

Additional reporting by David Ljungren in Ottawa; Editing by Riham Alkousaa, David Goodman and William Maclean

https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-02-20/Canada-bids-for-mothballed-prototype-drone-from-Germany.html

Sur le même sujet

  • ERRATUM : Appel à Idées face à la situation liée au COVID-19

    20 mars 2020 | Local, Aérospatial, Naval, Terrestre, C4ISR, Sécurité

    ERRATUM : Appel à Idées face à la situation liée au COVID-19

          CRÉONS UNE CHAÎNE SOLIDAIRE DE L'INNOVATION     FACE À UNE SITUATION INÉDITE : L’INNOVATION COMME ÉTENDARD   PROMPT a pour mission d’accélérer l’innovation et la recherche collaborative dans le secteur des nouvelles technologies afin d’inventer le monde de demain. Plus que jamais au regard de la situation sanitaire, sociale et économique, nous portons cette mission comme un étendard. L’équipe de PROMPT se tient prêt à vous assister et permettre de combler des besoins révélés par cette crise sans précédent.   QUE VOUS SOYEZ CHERCHEUR, ENTREPRENEURS, DIRIGEANT : VOUS AVEZ UNE IDÉE , FAITES-LE NOUS SAVOIR !   Pour aider au combat contre le COVID-19 et tous les obstacles et enjeux qu’il créé pour le Québec, le Canada et le monde, PROMPT fait appel à tout le génie et la richesse qui existent au sein de la communauté de recherche et de la communauté entrepreneuriale du Québec. Nous avons aujourd’hui la chance de proposer des solutions aux enjeux multiples soulevés par les maladies infectieuses, et d’assurer le maintien de la prospérité économique du Québec.    Si vous avez des idées innovantes ou des projets déjà en cours, des propositions  qui ne demandent qu’à voir le jour, Conctactez-nous! Vos idées pourraient faire partie d’un programme de financement PROMPT et nous vous accompagnerons pour trouver au besoin des partenaires et pour créer une chaine solidaire de l’innovation.   DONNONS-NOUS les moyens de traverser la crise mais aussi d’être plus forts après celle-ci !     Écrivez-nous à Covid-19@promptinnov.com, particulièrement si vous avez des idées de projets en : Outils de productivité Outils de gestion Outils logistiques Outils de transport et d'approvisionnement Solutions d'automatisations Applications de l’IA aux maladies infectieuses     

  • Lockheed Martin selected as preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships

    21 octobre 2018 | Local, Naval

    Lockheed Martin selected as preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships

    Murray Brewster · CBC News A group of companies led by multinational defence giant Lockheed Martin has been selected as the preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships, the Liberal government said Friday. The announcement that the group's BAE Type 26 design won the design competition represents a significant step forward for the long-anticipated $60-billion program to replace the navy's aging fleet of frigates. "The Canadian Surface Combatant project is the largest, most complex procurement ever undertaken by the Government of Canada. These ships will form the backbone of our Royal Canadian Navy and will be Canada's major surface component of maritime combat power for decades to come," Public Services and Procurement Canada said in a press release. Procurement and defence officials say this is not the final step; they will now enter into negotiations with the winning bidder to confirm it can deliver everything promised in the complex proposal. (Some observers have compared the process to placing a conditional offer on a home.) The evaluation, which will take place over the winter, involves verifying the winning company's financial wherewithal to complete the project, confirming that the proposal meets the military's combat requirements and hammering down aspects of intellectual property licences. Cindy Tessier, head of communications for Lockheed Martin Canada, said today the company is "confident that our proposed solution meets the requirements established, offering the best ship for Canada, with the world's most advanced warship design ... "Our proposal is a true industry team effort, and we look forward to providing any additional information to the Government of Canada and Irving Shipbuilding. We are ready on Day 1." The federal government now says it expects to award the final design contract sometime over the winter. It could be 2023 before construction actually gets underway at the go-to yard for warships — Irving Shipbuilding of Halifax. But finally pulling the trigger on a designer is a "huge step," Dave Perry, an Ottawa-based procurement specialist at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute, said in an interview with CBC's Power & Politics. "There's a huge degree of interest in having this done by the spring, and certainly before the next election." Perry said the importance of this order should not be underestimated, as the new ships will provide the navy with the bulk of its ocean-going fleet — vessels that can be used in war, to protect trade routes or to deliver humanitarian aid. "They can basically do anything the government wants them to do," he said. Perry said the $60-billion contract to build the frigates will be a major boon for the Halifax shipyard in particular. "When the economic impact starts spinning, it's really going to be meaningful," he said. André Fillion, the assistant deputy minister of defence and marine procurement at Public Services and Procurement Canada, said if the federal government is not satisfied that the top bidder can deliver, it will open negotiations with the second-place team of companies. Alion Science and Technology, along with its subsidiary Alion Canada, had submitted their proposal based on the Dutch De Zeven Provinciën Air Defence and Command (LCF) frigate. Navantia, a Spanish-based company, headed a team that included Saab and CEA Technologies. Its proposal was based on the F-105 frigate design, a ship in service with the Spanish navy. "The former naval officer in me is very excited," said Pat Finn, a retired rear admiral who heads up the Department of National Defence's material branch. "I've been around this for a long time." Fillion would not say which aspect of the "due diligence assessment" will be the toughest to overcome. Prior to asking for ship design bids, federal procurement officials spent a lot of time dealing with issues related to intellectual property on the complex systems that will be put into the new warships. Obtaining the necessary clearances is essential in order for the federal government to be able to maintain the vessels in the future. Failure to do so could cost taxpayers untold tens of millions of dollars — perhaps hundreds of millions — over the five decades the ships are expected to be in service. Some design changes are expected after the federal government selects an official winner and a contract is in place. How many changes will be required is a critical question; Finn would only say he doesn't anticipate cutting steel on the new warships for up to four years. That fuzzy timeline means the program is already months behind schedule. The design competition was launched almost two years ago, when the Liberal government said selecting a foreign, off-the-shelf design would be cheaper and faster than building a warship from scratch. Finn acknowledged there will be a production gap at the Irving yard in Halifax of about 18 months between construction of the navy's Arctic offshore patrol ships and the frigate replacements. He added, however, that the federal government is looking at a variety of options to keep the yard humming, including refit work on the existing frigates and possibly building an additional patrol ship, or ships. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lockheed-martin-selected-as-preferred-designer-for-canada-s-next-generation-of-warships-1.4869268

  • Barges being acquired by Canadian navy can be used for Asterix or JSS

    29 octobre 2019 | Local, Naval

    Barges being acquired by Canadian navy can be used for Asterix or JSS

    DAVID PUGLIESE, OTTAWA CITIZEN  Navamar Inc. of Montreal has received a $12 million contract to provide five “ship-to-shore connector systems” to the Royal Canadian Navy. The pontoon barges would be used to move supplies to shore from either the MV Asterix replenishment ship or the future Joint Support Ships, reports Esprit de Corps military magazine. The large craft could be used during humanitarian missions or on operations where no dock is available. The former Protecteur-class replenishment ships also had a landing craft vehicle personnel capability (LCVP), which provided limited support to humanitarian and disaster relief operations, according to the Department of National Defence. “The new sea to shore connectors will be more robust and versatile, and provide a significantly improved capability,” it added in a statement. The connectors will be modular and configurable to adapt to almost any mission, the department noted. They could be used as a temporary jetty anchored to the shoreline or as a large barge to assist in ship maintenance and repair or perform evacuation operations. In terms of cargo capacity, the old LCVP had enough space to transport a couple of pallets of rice bags or 40 people. The new sea to shore connectors will be able to carry thousands of bags of rice, hundreds of personnel, and multiple vehicles, according to the DND. Construction is scheduled to start August 2020 with final delivery in September 2022, said DND spokeswoman Jessica Lamirande. In other JSS news, Seaspan has awarded Hepburn Engineering Inc. of Toronto, ON, a contract for work on Canada’s new Joint Support Ships. Hepburn will provide four Replenishment Stations for the Joint Support Ships, which will allow the vessels to transfer fuel, fresh water, and solid goods to and from other vessels. These Replenishment-at-Sea (RAS) systems will be fully compatible with NATO standards, allowing the JSS to resupply and refuel Canadian and allied task force ships at sea. https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/barges-being-acquired-by-canadian-navy-can-be-used-for-asterix-or-jss

Toutes les nouvelles