9 février 2021 | International, Aérospatial

State Department approves $85M missile sale to Chile

By Ed Adamczyk

Feb. 8 (UPI) -- The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of SM-2 rail-launched missiles to Chile, and has delivered its recommendation to the U.S. Congress.

The $85 million sale includes 16 SM-2 Block IIIA rail-launched missiles, two MK 89 Mod 0 guidance section adapter, a target detection device kit, MK 45 Mod 14 naval gun systems and associated training and supplies, according to a Defense Security Cooperation Agency announcement.

The determination, the first foreign sale approved by President Joe Biden's administration, by the Defense Security Cooperation Agency typically precedes approval by the U.S. Senate.

In the announcement on Friday, DSCA noted that Chile acquired two missile-carrying Adelaide-class frigates, capable of firing the missiles, from the Royal Australian Navy in 2019.

It added that the sale would support Chile's anti-warfare capabilities and not alter the region's military balance.

Chile's rocket-launching capabilities only include the Rayo truck-mounted artillery missile, a joint project involving Chile and Britain, begun in 1989 and cancelled in 2002.

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2021/02/08/State-Department-approves-85M-missile-sale-to-Chile/2641612809229/

Sur le même sujet

  • Lockheed CEO: Boeing’s F-15X won’t disrupt F-35 program

    30 janvier 2019 | International, Aérospatial

    Lockheed CEO: Boeing’s F-15X won’t disrupt F-35 program

    By: Valerie Insinna WASHINGTON — Lockheed Martin has been given assurances by top Pentagon leaders that the F-35 program will not be negatively impacted by a potential U.S. Air Force buy of Boeing's F-15X, Lockheed CEO Marillyn Hewson said Tuesday. “If they choose to have an order of the F-15, it won't be at the expense of F-35 quantities,” she told investors during an earnings call. “I'm hearing that directly from leadership in the Pentagon, and I think that's an important point for me to make. It's not just our suspicion, but I've been told that directly.” The U.S. Air Force is expected to roll out a plan to begin buying new F-15s in its upcoming fiscal 2020 budget release. In December, Bloomberg reported the service intends to purchase 12 new F-15X aircraft in 2020 for $1.2 billion. On Friday, Gen. Dave Goldfein, the Air Force's chief of staff, confirmed to Defense News that the service will procure new F-15s if the budget grows enough to allow it, but that the F-35 program of record would remain the same with no slowdown to the buy rate. “I'm not backing an inch off of the F-35” Goldfein said. “The F-35 buy that we're on continues to remain on track. And I'm not interested in taking a nickel out of it when it comes to buying anything else in the fighter portfolio.” Goldfein added that the Air Force wants to increase fighter procurement to 72 aircraft a year. The Air Force has about 230 F-15 "C" and "D" models currently in service, and the F-15X will replace the portion of the fleet owned by the Air National Guard, according to Bloomberg. The new F-15 model will have new radar and electronic warfare equipment, the ability to carry more weapons, and include other improvements originally designed for Saudi Arabia's and Qatar's F-15s. If the service maintained a rate of one F-15X a month, it would be free to boost its F-35 production rate to 60 aircraft a year — a number that Air Force officials had cited as key for production ramp up. However, the FY19 budget forecast showed that the service would likely be unable to procure the F-35 in those quantities before FY23. “If we had the money, those would be 72 F-35s. But we've gotta look at this from a cost/business case.” Goldfein said. “An F-15 will never be an F-35. Never. But I need capacity.” Hewson's statement indicates that support for the F-35 continues to be strong both within the Air Force and among Pentagon leaders. However, earlier on Tuesday, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told reporters he wants to see “more performance” from the F-35, although he did not specify particular areas of improvement. “I am biased towards giving the taxpayer their moneys' worth. And the F-35, unequivocally, I can say has a lot of opportunity for more performance,” said Shanahan, a former Boeing executive. When investors asked Hewson to respond to Shanahan's critique, the Lockheed CEO said the company remains on the same page with the Pentagon on the need to reduce the cost per plane. “We're on a path to drive it to an $80 million [unit cost] for the F-35A by full-rate production,” which is projected to begin in Lot 15 with deliveries starting in 2023, Hewson said. “So as long as we stay on our procurement rate plan — which by all accounts we're going to continue to ramp up at the rate that we envisioned — then we're going to continue to drive the price down." Aaron Mehta in Washington contributed to this story. https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2019/01/29/lockheed-ceo-boeings-f-15x-wont-disrupt-f-35-program

  • Can Tempest and FCAS projects both succeed in Europe?

    29 juin 2020 | International, Aérospatial

    Can Tempest and FCAS projects both succeed in Europe?

    By Flight International 26 June 2020 For some, a time of global economic crisis might not feel like the perfect moment for nations to invest huge sums of money to develop a new class of combat aircraft only due to enter use around 2035-2040. Currently, six European governments and their national defence industry champions are involved in the early phases of two competing – and comparable – projects to deliver such a capability. In the opinion of Airbus Defence & Space chief executive Dirk Hoke, Europe's current trio of advanced fighters – the Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon and Saab Gripen – represent a wasteful replication of industrial effort – and all lose out by battling for the same orders. Hoke is championing a future combat air system (FCAS) project now combining the resources and know-how of French and German industry, and also later incorporating Spain. With its Tempest development having drawn interest from Italy and Sweden, the UK is not only turning away from its co-operation with Germany and Spain on Eurofighter, but applying the afterburners on their separation. Key players behind both efforts are united in their calls to “avoid the mistakes of the past”. For some, that refers to compromised yet complex requirements, sprawling manufacturing and final assembly arrangements, and political interference during export activities, while for others, a simple lack of harmony was at fault. Getting everyone to agree that having multiple final assembly lines for a fighter with a comparatively small production volume is an inefficient luxury is one thing – agreeing which will lose the strategic capability is quite another. International partnering spreads a programme's investment burden, but elements of the Eurofighter set-up and the Airbus Defence & Space A400M airlifter serve as cautionary tales. Three can be a crowd, but a lack of agreement among four or seven involved nations can cause lengthy delay and spiralling costs. Surely Europe can comfortably support two next-generation combat aircraft programmes? Indeed, those involved in FCAS and Tempest eye them as offering a real opportunity to power part of their nations' economic recovery in the post-coronavirus era. For an alternative view should the projects eventually have to merge, a unified solution could serve all 27 EU member states, plus the UK. Such a prospect could make the US-led Lockheed Martin F-35 programme look like a bureaucratic cakewalk by comparison. https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/can-tempest-and-fcas-projects-both-succeed-in-europe/139007.article

  • Moldova signs defence pact with France amid Russia fears

    7 mars 2024 | International, Terrestre

    Moldova signs defence pact with France amid Russia fears

Toutes les nouvelles