Back to news

December 31, 2018 | Local, Security

Chief of the Defence Staff says natural disasters pose ‘significant threat’ to Canadians

By  National Online Journalist  Global News

There are not many military threats that directly loom over Canadians as the country heads into the new year.

But of those that do, one of the most significant is the increased frequency of major natural disasters.

In a year-end interview with the West Block‘s Mercedes Stephenson, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance said while there are a number of threats that are evolving and taking shape, one of the most concrete ones the military is facing right now comes from Mother Nature herself.

“There are very few large military threats to Canada,” he said.

“There are certainly threats that are evolving right now that can reach Canada, be they missiles or threats against our cybersecurity, threats to our oceans and to our shores. We face a significant threat almost every year now with natural disasters, forest fires and floods and so on that affect Canadians. So in our role to defend Canada and protect Canadians, that’s been significant.”

The military gets called in to help with the response to natural disasters when those disasters overwhelm provincial authorities, which have the first responsibility to respond when things like floods, forest fires or ice storms hit.

Military responses to natural disasters happen under what’s known as Operation Lentus.

In 2018, the military deployed to six natural disasters after provincial authorities in all cases determined the scale of the damage was too much for them to handle alone.

Those disasters included the winter storms in Eastern Quebec and the Iles-de-la-Madeleine in November, sending hundreds of soldiers and transport aircraft to assist with evacuations from the B.C. and Manitoba forest fires and deploying to take on the heavy spring flooding in B.C., New Brunswick and on the Kashechewan First Nation.

Forest fires and severe flooding saw the military also respond to six disasters last year.

Both represent sharp increases compared to years past as climate change continues to cause more extremes that result in the droughts, storms and thaws behind things like dangerous forest fires and floods.

In 2016, for example, the military only deployed once: to the devastating Fort McMurray wildfires.

They deployed twice in 2015, four times in 2014, once in 2013, three times in 2011 and once in 2010.

In addition to continuing to deploy to missions overseas, the added demands on responding to disasters at home mean the military will need to increase recruitment or start to feel the strain, Vance said.

And in an uncertain world, the circumstances around those missions continues to evolve.

Most recently, Russia attacked three Ukrainian naval vessels passing through the shared territorial waters of the Kerch Strait.

Dozens of Ukrainian sailors on those ships were detained by the Russians as prisoners of war.

Vance said while that kind of aggression from Russia doesn’t directly impact Canadians deployed in the ongoing training mission in Ukraine, it does factor into considerations of what they are ultimately going to be able to achieve.

“It raised the stakes somewhat,” he said. “It hasn’t affected this mission Operation UNIFIER at this juncture, but it doesn’t point to a peaceful and ultimate resolution of Ukraine that we’d like to see.”

The 24 detained Ukrainian sailors have yet to be released.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4785907/jonathan-vance-canadian-forces-natural-disasters/

On the same subject

  • Used Australian F-18s heading to Canada will be a mix of single and dual seat aircraft

    January 10, 2019 | Local, Aerospace

    Used Australian F-18s heading to Canada will be a mix of single and dual seat aircraft

    DAVID PUGLIESE, OTTAWA CITIZEN The Canadian Forces is preparing to take possession by the spring of the first of 25 used Australian F-18 fighter jets. Eighteen of the Australian aircraft will be flying while another seven will be used for testing and spare parts. The Department of National Defence has provided more details on the types of aircraft Canada is acquiring. “The requested mix is 12 A-model (single seat) and 6 B-model (dual seat) aircraft; however, this is subject to adjustment,” said Department of National Defence spokesman Dan Le Bouthillier. The final mix will be dependent on a number of considerations, including the condition and availability of aircraft, he added. The dual seat aircraft will be used for training, Le Bouthillier noted. The additional fighter jets will be used to augment operations and training. One of the first things that will be done to the used Australian F-18s that Canada is purchasing is that the aircraft will be outfitted with different ejection seats and software. The first two F-18s that Canada is buying from Australia will arrive sometime in the spring and will be sent to Cold Lake, Alta, Pat Finn, assistant deputy minister for materiel at the Department of National Defence said. “They land, they (the Australians) will remove their software and we’ll install our software,” Finn explained in an interview. Also to be installed are ejection seats and a lighting system that is used on the CF-18s. “Ultimately the intent is the 18 aircraft are indistinguishable from our 76 aircraft,” Finn said. Canada has finalized its deal to buy the 25 used fighter jets from Australia, https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/used-australian-f-18s-heading-to-canada-will-be-a-mix-of-single-and-dual-seat-aircraft

  • Why Canada’s Failure to Win U.N. Security Council Seat Is a Huge Loss for Justin Trudeau

    June 19, 2020 | Local, Aerospace, Naval, Land, C4ISR, Security

    Why Canada’s Failure to Win U.N. Security Council Seat Is a Huge Loss for Justin Trudeau

    BY KAIT BOLONGARO / BLOOMBERG   JUNE 17, 2020 11:42 PM EDT Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his top diplomat sought to put a brave face on their failure to secure a spot on the United Nations Security Council in one of the Canadian leader’s biggest defeats yet on the world stage. Trudeau waged a four-year campaign for a council seat in what he hoped would represent a vindication of his foreign policy — a staunch defense of pluralism and multilateralism at a time of global upheaval. But his brand of progressive politics sometimes fell flat and he’s been criticized as being preachy on liberal values. “We listened and learned from other countries, which opened new doors for cooperation to address global challenges, and we created new partnerships that increased Canada’s place in the world,” Trudeau said in a statement Wednesday after the vote. Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said at a press conference the country’s campaign allowed Canada to renew and strengthen bilateral connections across the world. The latest setback is just one of many recent struggles for Trudeau globally, including a deterioration of relations with China and Saudi Arabia and a disastrous state visit to India. Not Back But none, perhaps, are as big a personal setback for the prime minister as Wednesday’s defeat. The government had seen a return to the security council as a fulfillment of the Canadian leader’s promise — the day after he took power in 2015 — to bring the country “back” on the world stage. “Many of you have worried that Canada has lost its compassionate and constructive voice in the world over the past 10 years,” Trudeau said at the time. “Well, I have a simple message for you: on behalf of 35 million Canadians, we’re back.” Canada received the support of 108 countries of a total 192 that voted Wednesday afternoon at UN Headquarters in New York. Norway and Ireland, Canada’s two rivals, received 130 and 128 votes, passing the required two-thirds majority of 128 ballots. “It’s really the biggest embarrassment he will suffer in his prime minister-ship in Canada, particularly on international affairs,” said Shuvaloy Majumdar, a senior fellow at the MacDonald Laurier Institute and former adviser on foreign policy in Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s conservative government. Canada has now been overlooked for the second time in the past decade to become a non-permanent member on the agency’s decision-making body. https://time.com/5855483/canada-un-security-council-seat/

  • Lockheed Martin tweet on Canadian Surface Combatant creates a stir

    September 14, 2018 | Local, Naval

    Lockheed Martin tweet on Canadian Surface Combatant creates a stir

    DAVID PUGLIESE, OTTAWA CITIZEN The Lockheed Martin-BAE team pursuing the Canadian Surface Combatant created a stir on social media among defence observers when it suggested earlier this week that its bid had been qualified for the program. Three consortiums had submitted bids for the CSC program, with a winner expected to be announced by the end of the year. Industry is closely watching which firms might be qualified for the $60 billion project. So on Sept. 10 a tweet by the Lockheed Martin/BAE team raised more than a few eyebrows. “BAE System’s Type 26 meets all requirements in the CSC proposal, including speed.” So was the team announcing their bid had been qualified? What was particularly intriguing is that some industry representatives have been for several months continuing to claim that the Type 26 can’t meet speed requirements for the Royal Canadian Navy. It appeared that the Type 26 folks were confirming they had received the thumbs up from the CSC evaluating team. Or had they? A spokesman for Public Services and Procurement Canada gave Defence Watch a rundown on where the program was at. The CSC evaluation is still ongoing and none of the three bidders have received any details yet on whether their proposals have been deemed “compliant.” It turned out that the tweet was simply the view by the Lockheed Martin/BAE team that their bid would be deemed compliant. Here is what Lockheed Martin responded with when asked by Defence Watch about the tweet: “Based on our technical and professional expertise and analysis of the requirements established for CSC, we are confident that our entire solution meets or exceeds the technical requirements established in the RFP and it is based on that degree of certainty that we have communicated our message.” https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/lockheed-martin-tweet-on-canadian-surface-combatant-creates-a-stir

All news