11 février 2022 | Local, Aérospatial, Naval, Terrestre, C4ISR, Sécurité

Defence Department failed to spend $1.2B in funding last year, most due to delays

OTTAWA - New figures show the Department of National Defence failed to spend more than $1.2 billion of its allotted budget in the last fiscal year, th...

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2022/02/10/defence-department-failed-to-spend-12b-in-approved-funding-last-year-due-to-delays.html

Sur le même sujet

  • Government checks another box on the long, long road to building a Polar icebreaker

    2 mars 2020 | Local, Naval

    Government checks another box on the long, long road to building a Polar icebreaker

    David Pugliese, Ottawa Citizen The federal government is requesting information from industry on which shipyard has the capability to build the Canadian Coast Guard’s new Polar Class icebreaker. It’s a strange request in some respects. Last year the Liberal government took away the Polar Class icebreaker project from Seaspan shipyards on the west coast and instead provided that company with a deal that will see it build 16 new Multi-Purpose Vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard. Irving on the east coast is running at full speed handling the combat ship portions of the National Shipbuilding Strategy. It has already fallen behind on the delivery of the first of the Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships and it still has much work to do on the Canadian Surface Combatant program. It was expected that Davie, the largest shipyard in Canada, would receive the contract to build the Polar Class icebreaker. Yet the news release issued Friday from Public Services and Procurement Canada noted that, “the Government of Canada issued a Request for Information (RFI), open to all Canadian shipyards, seeking information on domestic shipyard capability and capacity to construct and deliver a Polar-class icebreaker. This follows standard procurement practices, and the information gathered will help the government determine how best to proceed so that the polar icebreaker is delivered in the most timely and efficient manner.” Companies, however, only have two weeks to respond to the request for information. The whole exercise has the feel of a government checking the boxes off before awarding the contract to Davie. Or it could be a measure to head off any legal challenge from other shipyards who would complain that a “fair, open and transparent” competition was not run. Cecely Roy, press secretary to Procurement Minister Anita Anand, said in an email to this newspaper that as “a significant amount of time has passed since the last commissioned studies on the capacity of domestic shipyards, this RFI was initiated to provide updated information to inform the government’s decisions on the procurement process moving forward.” The polar icebreaker, the future Canadian Coast Guard Ship (CCGS) John G. Diefenbaker, will replace Canada’s current largest icebreaker, the CCGS Louis S. St-Laurent. The current fleet of heavy icebreakers, including the CCGS Louis S. St-Laurent, remain in good condition and will be in operation until the polar icebreaker is delivered, according to the federal government. The Polar Class project was announced by the Conservative government in 2008 and has faced delays ever since. The ship had been expected to be in service in 2017. That date changed to 2021. Now there is no known date for the vessel to be operating. “The delivery date for the polar icebreaker will be identified as the project gets underway,” the federal government added in its news release. “At this stage, we are exploring options to ensure the Polar Icebreaker is built in the most efficient manner to meet the needs of the Coast Guard, but a decision was not been made on the contract award, nor will this RFI result in that decision,” Roy said in an email to this newspaper. https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/canada/government-checks-another-box-on-the-long-long-road-to-building-a-polar-icebreaker-417217/

  • Lockheed Martin selected as preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships

    21 octobre 2018 | Local, Naval

    Lockheed Martin selected as preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships

    Murray Brewster · CBC News A group of companies led by multinational defence giant Lockheed Martin has been selected as the preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships, the Liberal government said Friday. The announcement that the group's BAE Type 26 design won the design competition represents a significant step forward for the long-anticipated $60-billion program to replace the navy's aging fleet of frigates. "The Canadian Surface Combatant project is the largest, most complex procurement ever undertaken by the Government of Canada. These ships will form the backbone of our Royal Canadian Navy and will be Canada's major surface component of maritime combat power for decades to come," Public Services and Procurement Canada said in a press release. Procurement and defence officials say this is not the final step; they will now enter into negotiations with the winning bidder to confirm it can deliver everything promised in the complex proposal. (Some observers have compared the process to placing a conditional offer on a home.) The evaluation, which will take place over the winter, involves verifying the winning company's financial wherewithal to complete the project, confirming that the proposal meets the military's combat requirements and hammering down aspects of intellectual property licences. Cindy Tessier, head of communications for Lockheed Martin Canada, said today the company is "confident that our proposed solution meets the requirements established, offering the best ship for Canada, with the world's most advanced warship design ... "Our proposal is a true industry team effort, and we look forward to providing any additional information to the Government of Canada and Irving Shipbuilding. We are ready on Day 1." The federal government now says it expects to award the final design contract sometime over the winter. It could be 2023 before construction actually gets underway at the go-to yard for warships — Irving Shipbuilding of Halifax. But finally pulling the trigger on a designer is a "huge step," Dave Perry, an Ottawa-based procurement specialist at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute, said in an interview with CBC's Power & Politics. "There's a huge degree of interest in having this done by the spring, and certainly before the next election." Perry said the importance of this order should not be underestimated, as the new ships will provide the navy with the bulk of its ocean-going fleet — vessels that can be used in war, to protect trade routes or to deliver humanitarian aid. "They can basically do anything the government wants them to do," he said. Perry said the $60-billion contract to build the frigates will be a major boon for the Halifax shipyard in particular. "When the economic impact starts spinning, it's really going to be meaningful," he said. André Fillion, the assistant deputy minister of defence and marine procurement at Public Services and Procurement Canada, said if the federal government is not satisfied that the top bidder can deliver, it will open negotiations with the second-place team of companies. Alion Science and Technology, along with its subsidiary Alion Canada, had submitted their proposal based on the Dutch De Zeven Provinciën Air Defence and Command (LCF) frigate. Navantia, a Spanish-based company, headed a team that included Saab and CEA Technologies. Its proposal was based on the F-105 frigate design, a ship in service with the Spanish navy. "The former naval officer in me is very excited," said Pat Finn, a retired rear admiral who heads up the Department of National Defence's material branch. "I've been around this for a long time." Fillion would not say which aspect of the "due diligence assessment" will be the toughest to overcome. Prior to asking for ship design bids, federal procurement officials spent a lot of time dealing with issues related to intellectual property on the complex systems that will be put into the new warships. Obtaining the necessary clearances is essential in order for the federal government to be able to maintain the vessels in the future. Failure to do so could cost taxpayers untold tens of millions of dollars — perhaps hundreds of millions — over the five decades the ships are expected to be in service. Some design changes are expected after the federal government selects an official winner and a contract is in place. How many changes will be required is a critical question; Finn would only say he doesn't anticipate cutting steel on the new warships for up to four years. That fuzzy timeline means the program is already months behind schedule. The design competition was launched almost two years ago, when the Liberal government said selecting a foreign, off-the-shelf design would be cheaper and faster than building a warship from scratch. Finn acknowledged there will be a production gap at the Irving yard in Halifax of about 18 months between construction of the navy's Arctic offshore patrol ships and the frigate replacements. He added, however, that the federal government is looking at a variety of options to keep the yard humming, including refit work on the existing frigates and possibly building an additional patrol ship, or ships. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lockheed-martin-selected-as-preferred-designer-for-canada-s-next-generation-of-warships-1.4869268

  • Le gouvernement du Canada investit dans la modernisation de la flotte d’hélicoptères CH‑146 Griffon de l’Aviation royale canadienne

    28 janvier 2019 | Local, Aérospatial

    Le gouvernement du Canada investit dans la modernisation de la flotte d’hélicoptères CH‑146 Griffon de l’Aviation royale canadienne

    Le 26 janvier 2019 – Ottawa (Ontario) – Défense nationale/Forces armées canadiennes   Comme l’indique la politique de défense du Canada Protection, Sécurité, Engagement, le gouvernement du Canada fait des investissements en vue de renouveler l’équipement et de prolonger sa durée de vie pour faire en sorte que les hommes et les femmes de l’Aviation royale canadienne (ARC) disposent de l’équipement nécessaire pour remplir les missions principales des Forces armées canadiennes (FAC). À cette fin, au nom du ministre de la Défense nationale Harjit S. Sajjan, M. Andy Fillmore, secrétaire parlementaire du ministre du Patrimoine canadien et du Multiculturalisme, a annoncé aujourd’hui que Bell Helicopter Textron Canada Limited allait entreprendre des travaux de conception en vue de prolonger la durée de vie utile de la flotte canadienne de 85 hélicoptères CH-146 Griffon jusqu’à au moins 2031. La première phase de cette prolongation de la durée de vie est la phase de définition, au cours de laquelle Bell Helicopter Textron Canada Limited, le fabricant d’équipement d’origine, élaborera des changements de conception en vue d’améliorer les systèmes d’avionique, les moteurs et les écrans d’habitacle des hélicoptères, et intégrera des systèmes de détection. Ces travaux de définition, d’une valeur pouvant atteindre 90 millions de dollars (taxes comprises), seront réalisés dans le cadre du contrat de soutien existant pour la flotte de CH‑146, qui a été attribué à Bell Helicopter Textron Canada Limited en 2011. La portée globale du projet de prolongation limitée de la durée de vie du Griffon est évaluée à environ 800 millions de dollars (taxes comprises). Le Griffon, l’hélicoptère utilitaire polyvalent du Canada, est essentiel aux opérations des FAC, tant au pays qu’à l’étranger. Il est utilisé pour remplir de nombreuses fonctions, notamment le transport tactique des troupes, les missions de surveillance, d’escorte et de reconnaissance, l’évacuation des blessés, les secours en cas de catastrophe, l’appui aérien des opérations spéciales et les opérations de recherche et sauvetage. La modernisation de la flotte d’hélicoptères CH-146 lui permettra de continuer de contribuer de manière importante au succès de toute la gamme de missions et d’opérations des FAC.  Citations « Dans le cadre de notre politique de défense Protection, Sécurité, Engagement, nous fournissons aux hommes et aux femmes des Forces armées canadiennes l’équipement dont ils ont besoin pour accomplir les tâches importantes que nous leur confions. Une capacité d’hélicoptères de transport tactiques est absolument essentielle au succès de toutes les opérations militaires. Grâce à ces améliorations, nous nous assurons que nos militaires pourront continuer de compter sur cet hélicoptère qui a fait ses preuves pendant les nombreuses années à venir. »   Harjit S. Sajjan, ministre de la Défense nationale « Nous veillons à ce que les femmes et hommes qui servent fièrement notre pays au sein des Forces armées canadiennes aient l’équipement dont ils ont besoin pour accomplir leur important travail, tant au Canada qu’à l’étranger. En investissant dans l’entretien de l’équipement militaire, nous créons également de bons emplois pour la classe moyenne et nous assurons la croissance des entreprises canadiennes. » Carla Qualtrough, ministre des Services publics et de l’Approvisionnement et de l’Accessibilité  « Je suis fier d’annoncer la modernisation des hélicoptères CH-146 Griffon. Ce projet profite à l’industrie canadienne et à nos hommes et nos femmes en uniforme en contribuant à créer des emplois de qualité tout en garantissant que le personnel de l’ARC dispose de l’équipement nécessaire pour mener à bien les opérations. »  Andy Fillmore, secrétaire parlementaire du ministre du Patrimoine canadien et du Multiculturalisme « La prolongation de la durée de vie de la flotte de CH-146 Griffon assurera la longévité de la capacité d’hélicoptères tactiques de l’ARC. Ces hélicoptères se sont avérés extrêmement performants au fil des années, et grâce à ces améliorations, ils continueront d’être un atout précieux qui permettra à notre personnel de mener à bien des missions et des opérations à long terme. »  Lieutenant‑général A.L. Meinzinger, commandant de l’Aviation royale canadienne  Faits en bref Des hélicoptères CH-146 Griffon sont actuellement déployés dans le cadre de l’opération PRESENCE au Mali, servant d’escorte armée aux hélicoptères CH-147 Chinook pendant les opérations d’évacuation médicale et assurant le transport les troupes et des fournitures.  Des hélicoptères Griffon sont également déployés dans le cadre de l’opération IMPACT en Irak, servant au transport des soldats canadiens, de l’équipement et des approvisionnements à l’appui de la mission d’instruction des FAC. Les hélicoptères CH-146 Griffon ont assuré un appui‑feu rapproché et le transport tactique pendant la participation des FAC en Afghanistan, ce qui a permis de réduire l’exposition du personnel des FAC aux menaces terrestres, comme les embuscades, les mines terrestres et les dispositifs explosifs de circonstances.  L’hélicoptère CH-146 est inspiré de l’hélicoptère Bell 412 accessible sur le marché, et présente des caractéristiques uniques aux Forces armées canadiennes. Les hélicoptères canadiens CH-146 Griffon ont été mis en service de 1995 à 1997. Les hélicoptères Griffon sont exploités par les escadrons tactiques d’hélicoptères et les escadrons d’opérations spéciales d’aviation de l’ensemble du pays.  L’hélicoptère CH-146 peut transporter jusqu’à 15 personnes (deux pilotes, un mécanicien de bord et 12 passagers). Il a une masse maximale totale de près de 5 400 kilogrammes, et peut atteindre une vitesse de 260 kilomètres à l’heure. Le projet de Prolongation limitée de la durée de vie du Griffon (PLVG) permettra de prolonger la durée de vie de la flotte jusqu’à 2031 au moins, jusqu’à ce que le projet d’acquisition de la nouvelle génération d’hélicoptères utilitaires polyvalents soit élaboré et mis en œuvre.  Une fois la phase de définition achevée, un contrat distinct devrait être attribué de façon à permettre la mise en œuvre en 2022. Liens connexes CH-146 Griffon https://www.canada.ca/fr/ministere-defense-nationale/nouvelles/2019/01/le-gouvernement-du-canada-investit-dans-la-modernisation-de-la-flotte-dhelicopteres-ch146-griffon-de-laviation-royale-canadienne.html

Toutes les nouvelles