Back to news

May 7, 2019 | Local, Aerospace

Trump administration claims Ottawa's jet procurement plan is unfair to F-35, says report

Murray Brewster · CBC News

The Trump administration fired two warning shots last year over the Liberal government's long-delayed plan to replace Canada's CF-18 fighters, saying the procurement process discriminates against the Lockheed-Martin-built F-35 stealth jet, according to a new academic report.

The study by a researcher at the Macdonald-Laurier Institute (MLI) cites leaked Pentagon letters written last summer and late fall to officials at Public Services and Procurement Canada.

The report, released Monday, largely blames the Liberal government for the delays in the procurement, while making only a passing reference to the inability of the former Conservative government to deliver on the same program.

The report's major revelation involves the leaked letters — which are expected to inflame the debate over the nearly decade-long on-again, off-again plan to replace the air force's 1980s-vintage CF-18s with modern warplanes.

The source of the Pentagon's irritation is a federal government policy that insists defence manufacturers deliver specific industrial benefits to Canadian companies.

Canada accused of angling for better deal

That's not how the F-35 program is structured. Countries that participated in the development of the stealth jet — as Canada did — pay an annual fee to remain part of the program, which gives domestic aerospace companies in those countries the right to bid on F-35 work.

The U.S. undersecretary for defence acquisition and sustainment wrote to Canada's assistant deputy minister of defence procurement in Public Services and Procurement Canada last summer to complain about the Industrial and Technological Benefits (ITB) policy.

Ellen Lord warned the policy runs contrary to the F-35 participation agreement and accused Canada of trying to leverage a better deal than its allies.

"This text basically stated that Canada had signed the [Memorandum of Understanding] clearly understanding these provisions and could not now try to renegotiate a better deal," said the Aug. 31, 2018 letter, leaked to MLI researcher Richard Shimooka.

Lord went on to say the current procurement process "would be fundamentally and structurally prejudicial to any F-35 bid."

The point was hammered home when former U.S. Vice-Admiral Mathias Winter, in charge of the Joint Program Office overseeing F-35 development, wrote to Canada's head of future fighter development at Public Services.

After reviewing the federal government's draft request for proposals, Winter wrote that the F-35 would not be able to participate given the way the system is structured now.

"Fundamentally, the F-35 program is different from Foreign Military Sales or Direct Commercial sales procurements," said the Dec. 18, 2018 letter.

"The current [Future Fighter Capability Program] does not allow the F-35 to participate in a fair and open competition that recognizes the special nature and distinct advantages of the partnership."

Lockheed-Martin is one of four manufacturers that plan to bid on the fighter jet replacement program. Several defence and defence industry sources told CBC News in a story published last month that the full tender was expected to be released at the end of May, with final bids to be delivered by the end of the year.

There is considerable uncertainty about the timeline, however, because of questions and disputes about the project's industrial expectations.

"A delay is inevitable," said one defence industry source on Monday.

With the release of the letters, the institute's analysis peels back the curtain on perhaps the most contentious of the disputes: how to reconcile the existing F-35 benefits package with the federal government's standard procurement model.

Lockheed-Martin would not confirm whether the issues raised in the letters remain active concerns, but sources within both the defence industry and the federal government say there is an ongoing dialogue.

The U.S. defence giant, in a statement, said it did not commission the report but acknowledged it had provided "factual information to several think tanks in Canada" about its various programs.

The company said the structure of the F-35 program means it is the U.S. defence department that does all of the talking.

"We continue to provide our feedback to the U.S. government, which leads all government-to-government discussions related to the Canadian fighter replacement competition," said Cindy Tessier, head of communications for Lockheed Martin Canada.

She touted the $1.25 billion in contracts already awarded to Canadian companies because of the F-35 program and said the potential is there for more work once the fighter aircraft reaches full production in a few years.

"As a valued current partner on the program, Canadian industry has the opportunity to produce and sustain components and systems to a fleet that is expected to grow to more than 4,000 aircraft," she said.

A spokeswoman for Public Services Minister Carla Qualtrough did not address the Pentagon letters directly, but did say the government has engaged in continuous dialogue with potential bidders as it sought feedback on the proposed tender.

"The approach is inherently designed to encourage continuous supplier engagement," said Ashley Michnowski. "We do this so that suppliers are able to make informed business decisions.

"Our government has been hard working to address as much of the supplier feedback as possible to ensure a level playing field and a fair and open competition with as many eligible suppliers as possible."

The process is not yet complete, although it is nearing its conclusion and a final request for proposals will be issued soon, she added.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-administration-claims-ottawa-s-jet-procurement-plan-is-unfair-to-f-35-says-report-1.5125009

On the same subject

  • Liberals launch negotiations to buy F-35 fighter jets | CBC News

    March 30, 2022 | Local, Aerospace

    Liberals launch negotiations to buy F-35 fighter jets | CBC News

    The Canadian government has chosen the F-35 as its preferred replacement for the air force's four-decade-old CF-18 fighters and will open negotiations with the stealth jet's manufacturer, Lockheed Martin.

  • Boeing to offer the P-8A Poseidon for Canada’s Multi-Mission Aircraft project - Skies Mag

    February 11, 2022 | Local, Aerospace

    Boeing to offer the P-8A Poseidon for Canada’s Multi-Mission Aircraft project - Skies Mag

    The Canadian Multi-Mission Aircraft project will replace the Royal Canadian Air Force fleet of CP-140 Aurora aircraft and enhance its anti-submarine warfare and ISR capabilities.

  • Calian Group Wins Royal Canadian Air Force Airworthiness Service Agreement Valued at up to $20M

    April 5, 2018 | Local, Aerospace

    Calian Group Wins Royal Canadian Air Force Airworthiness Service Agreement Valued at up to $20M

    Ottawa, ON April 05, 2018 – Calian Group Ltd. (TSX: CGY) is pleased to announce it has been awarded a contract renewal worth up to $20 million in support of the Royal Canadian Air Force's (RCAF) Airworthiness Program. Calian will provide highly skilled professionals with expertise in 66 different categories of aeronautics to help ensure Canada's military fleet flies safely and effectively. The first year of the contract starts immediately and will run to March 31, 2019. The contract award includes two additional option years, with an aggregate contract value of approximately $20 million over the three years. Calian is initially providing professional airworthiness, engineering and program support services through a team of about 30 specialists, including civilians and veterans. They will provide services in mechanical engineering, propulsion, electrical engineering, weapons safety and cybersecurity. To deliver these services Calian has again partnered with Valcom Consulting Group. “We are honoured to continue providing these critical safety and security services to Canada's military aircraft fleet,” said Donald Whitty, Vice President, Calian Training. “We've been providing this support to the Airworthiness Program for 24 years, which goes far beyond technical reviews and flight test reports. We're protecting flight systems from cyber threats and providing critical security services for weapons, communications and computer systems.” Calian is providing the RCAF with uniquely qualified experts who have sought-after signing authority to endorse changes and modifications to existing aircraft as well as assessments of newly acquired aircraft. RCAF aircraft use complex, interconnected systems, and under the Airworthiness Program any modifications must be reviewed, analyzed and tested to ensure flight safety is not compromised. "This contract win falls directly in line with the first pillar of our growth strategy – customer retention. Customers come back to Calian because of our successful record delivering mission critical services with high satisfaction ratings,” said Jerry Johnston, acting President, BTS Division. “As one of Canada's largest defence companies, I am very pleased to see Calian continue this important partnership supporting the safety of the men and women in uniform.” These Airworthiness services are critical to flight safety and operational readiness for new and modernized aircraft such as the Fixed Wing Search and Rescue Airbus C295W aircraft, Maritime Helicopter Project CH-148 Cyclone helicopter, CP-140 Aurora patrol, CH-146 Griffon helicopter, CH-147 Chinook helicopter, CH-149 Cormorant helicopter, CC-130 Hercules transport and CF-118 Hornet fighter. About Calian Engineering Calian offers full-spectrum systems engineering and technical services, supporting the Department of National Defence (DND), other government departments, and industry for over 30 years. Our engineers and technologists apply expertise in disciplines essential for system development, operation, and maintenance, with capabilities that offer full life-cycle support for soldier systems, major defence projects, electrical and electronic systems, computer systems, naval architecture, and aerospace systems. About Calian Calian employs more than 2,900 people with offices and projects that span Canada, U.S. and international markets. The company's capabilities are diverse with services delivered through two divisions. The Business and Technology Services (BTS) Division is headquartered in Ottawa and includes the provision of business and technology services to industry, public and government in the health, training, engineering and IT services domains. Calian's Systems Engineering Division (SED), located in Saskatoon plans, designs and implements complex communication systems for many of the world's space agencies and leading satellite manufacturers and operators. SED also provides contract manufacturing services for both private sector and military customers in North America. For investor information, please visit our website at www.calian.com or contact us at ir@calian.com Jacqueline Gauthier Media inquiries: Chief Financial Officer Simon Doyle 613-599-8600 613-599-8600 x 205 https://www.calian.com/en/calian-group-wins-royal-canadian-air-force-airworthiness-service-agreement-valued-20m

All news