Back to news

May 10, 2019 | Local, Aerospace

Feds look to ease requirements for fighter-jet makers after U.S. complaints

By

OTTAWA — The federal government is planning to loosen its industrial requirements for fighter-jet makers in the $19-billion competition to replace Canada's aging CF-18s.

The planned modification follows recent U.S. complaints that the previous criteria violated Canada's obligations as one of nine partner countries in the development of the F-35, one of the small handful of planes expected in the competition.

Yet the proposed change has sparked complaints from some of the companies whose planes will be competing against the F-35, who say the new approach goes too far in the other direction.

Canada has long required companies bidding on major defence contracts to commit to re-investing back into the country, with those unable to make such a contractual commitment seeing their bids tossed out.

But in a presentation to companies on Thursday, the government said it plans to allow bids missing such a commitment in the fighter-jet competition — they will be just docked points in the assessment.

The plan is intended to maximize the number of bids in the competition to buy 88 new jets while still aiming for the largest-possible economic spinoffs, a senior government official told The Canadian Press.

The U.S. had threatened not to enter the F-35 into the competition if the requirement wasn't changed, noting that under the partnership agreement signed in 2006, companies in each member country instead compete for work.

The threat was contained in a letter sent to the government from the head of the Pentagon's F-35 office in December and published in a report from the Macdonald-Laurier Institute think tank on Monday.

Canada has contributed roughly $500 million over the past 20 years toward developing the F-35, while Canadian companies have won nearly $1.5 billion in contracts associated with the stealth fighter. Canada will also be able to buy the plane for less than non-members.

The proposed new process will see the government evaluate bids on a scale, with 60 per cent of the points based on the plane's capability, 20 per cent on its full lifetime costs and the remaining 20 per cent on industrial benefits to Canada.

Bidders can still guarantee that they will re-invest back into Canada if their jet wins the competition and get all 20 points - which is the likely approach for Boeing's Super Hornet, Eurofighter's Typhoon and Saab's Gripen.

But those that can't make such a commitment will be asked to establish "industrial targets," lay out a plan for achieving those targets and sign a non-binding agreement promising to make all efforts to achieve them.

The government will study those plans and assign points based on risk. This is the likely approach for Lockheed Martin and the F-35, which the U.S. has said could provide Canadian companies with billions in work over the next 50 years.

The planned new approach has already stirred complaints from some of Lockheed Martin's competitors, who question why the F-35 should get points if the company can't guarantee re-investment back into Canada.

There are also concerns about how the government will decide how risky plans to achieve "industrial targets" actually are, with one industry source saying that question is entirely subjective.

Bidders were also told Thursday that the actual launch of the competition has been delayed until mid-July. Government officials had previously said they hoped the starting gun would be fired by the end of the month.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2019/05/09/feds-ease-industrial-requirements-for-fighter-jet-makers-after-u-s-complaints/

On the same subject

  • Tested for war at sea: Exercise RIMPAC

    January 24, 2023 | Local, Aerospace

    Tested for war at sea: Exercise RIMPAC

    Last year's RIMPAC exercise allowed Western forces to demonstrate the power and agility of integrated air and maritime assets, and was a first opportunity for many to participate in a massive multinational training event.

  • Work on HMCS Corner Brook could stretch out to 2021, DND confirms

    March 29, 2019 | Local, Naval

    Work on HMCS Corner Brook could stretch out to 2021, DND confirms

    DAVID PUGLIESE, OTTAWA CITIZEN HMCS Corner Brook's Extended Docking Work Period, or EDWP, is presently underway in Esquimalt, BC and was scheduled to be completed in 2020. But an assessment conducted by the contractor, Babcock Canada Inc., indicates that the work could take longer than expected, the Department of National Defence confirmed to Postmedia. DND spokeswoman Ashley Lemire said given the complex and lengthy nature of submarine EDWPs, periodic assessments are routinely undertaken by Babcock Canada to ensure that the schedule remains achievable. “The most recent schedule assessment took into account the remaining work, and an updated assessment of the potential risk factors, to produce a probabilistic assessment of the completion date that showed that the EDWP could continue into 2021 if a number of the risks materialized,” Lemire noted in an email. The Canadian government and Babcock will now undertake a review of all risks to determine how those can be avoided and or mitigated, she added. They will also review the remaining items still to be done to ensure that only essential work has been scheduled. “This necessary process generally results in the schedule coming back towards the baseline and the process must be left to unfold to determine if a full return to baseline can be achieved,” Lemire added. If the work on Corner Brook slips into 2021, it could have an impact on the work periods for other submarines to follow. https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/work-on-hmcs-corner-brook-could-stretch-out-to-2021-dnd-confirms

  • Rotor Maxx Support Ltd. acquires Canadian CH-124 Sea Kings

    August 13, 2019 | Local, Aerospace

    Rotor Maxx Support Ltd. acquires Canadian CH-124 Sea Kings

    Rotor Maxx Support Limited (RMS) is the successful bidder on the Canadian CH-124 Sea King (Sikorsky SH-3) competitive sales process. RMS recognizes what the aircraft need in order to have a viable future and will be upgrading/modernizing them in order to improve flight safety, increase performance and enhance operational reliability before making them available to both military and non-military customers. Already a world leader in all aspects of support for the S61/H-3 series helicopter, RMS is well prepared for the work that lies ahead. The 15 CH-124s will complement RMS's current fleet of eight civilian S61s and allow for expansion of its existing aircraft leasing/sale and total aircraft support (TAS) programs. The acquisition includes a significant inventory of parts, tooling and equipment which, when added to RMS's already comprehensive stock, will contribute extensively to the TAS program included with each aircraft delivery. RMS recognizes that many Canadian companies have equipment, systems and modifications already available or nearing availability to the global aerospace market that could be applied to their modernization program and looks forward to working with any company whose participation adds Canadian content to the finished product. The S61/H-3 has been, and continues to be, exceedingly popular with both military and civilian operations worldwide, so not surprisingly, RMS is already receiving interest from eligible foreign parties. While contact information for all departments can be found on the RMS website, enquiries regarding the CH-124 program (including employment opportunities) should be directed to RMS's CEO, Mike Wiggins. https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/rotor-maxx-support-ltd-acquires-canadian-ch-124-sea-kings/

All news