7 novembre 2018 | Local, Aérospatial

French firm Dassault pulls out of fighter-jet competition: Sources

By Lee Berthiaume

The long effort to replace Canada's aging fighter jets took another surprise twist on Tuesday, as multiple sources revealed that French fighter-jet maker Dassault is pulling out of the multibillion-dollar competition.

The decision comes just over a week after the federal government published the military's requirements for a replacement for Canada's CF-18s as well as a draft process by which a winning supplier will be chosen.

Dassault had repeatedly pitched its Rafale aircraft to Canada over the years as successive governments in Ottawa have wrestled with selecting a new fighter jet. Dassault's pitch included significant promises, including that it would assemble the planes in Canada.

But sources tell The Canadian Press that Dassault's decision to withdraw was related to the fact France is not a member of the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing network, which counts the U.S., Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada as members. The five members have very specific requirements for how their equipment works together.

The French government, which had been closely working with Dassault as the most recent iteration of Canada's fighter-replacement program has inched along over the past year, was preparing to notify Ottawa of the company's withdrawal.

The move leaves four companies — U.S. aerospace giants Lockheed Martin and Boeing, European competitor Airbus and Swedish firm Saab — competing for the $19-billion contract to replace Canada's 76 CF-18s with 88 new fighters.

A contract isn't expected to be awarded until 2021 or 2022, with delivery of the first new aircraft slated for 2025. In the meantime, the government is planning to upgrade its CF-18s and buy 25 used fighters from Australia as a stopgap.

Dassault faced several significant challenges in meeting Canada's requirements for a new fighter, said defence analyst David Perry of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute, and while they weren't insurmountable, they would have cost time and money.

Those challenges included meeting those Five-Eyes intelligence-sharing requirements, which Perry said put Dassault at a distinct disadvantage in the competition when compared to Lockheed Martin, Boeing and, to a certain degree, Airbus.

"For any of the non-American companies, solving the Five-Eyes interoperability issues is going to be challenging," he said, noting that the U.S. in particular is very sensitive about data-sharing.

"And it costs companies a lot of money to mount and pursue bids. So if they think at this point in time that it's not a realistic prospect, then pulling out is pretty understandable."

That could explain why Dassault never established a strong presence in Canada during the many years when it was trying to sell the Rafale as a replacement for the CF-18, he added.

The CF-18s are about 35 years old. Canada's attempts to buy a new fighter jet have dragged on for nearly a decade after the previous Conservative government announced in 2010 that Canada would buy 65 F-35s without a competition, with the first to be delivered in 2015.

But the Tories pushed the reset button in 2012 after the auditor general raised questions about the program and National Defence revealed the jets would cost $46 billion over their lifetimes.

After campaigning on a promise not to buy the F-35s, the Trudeau Liberals announced in November 2016 they would take their time with a competition to replace the CF-18s, and buy 18 "interim" Boeing Super Hornets without a competition because Canada needed more fighter jets badly.

But then Boeing's trade dispute with Canadian rival Bombardier saw the Liberals scrap their plan to buy Super Hornets and instead begin talks to buy 18 used fighter jets from Australia. A contract for those used planes is expected in the coming weeks.

The formal competition to replace the CF-18s is scheduled to begin next spring.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/11/07/news/french-firm-dassault-pulls-out-fighter-jet-competition-sources

Sur le même sujet

  • Univers PME | Un contrat naval de 100 millions pour une (discrète) entreprise de Brossard

    21 février 2024 | Local, Naval

    Univers PME | Un contrat naval de 100 millions pour une (discrète) entreprise de Brossard

    Le Groupe Bronswerk a la discrétion des sous-marins qu’elle équipe.

  • Canadian Army’s network systems get a $1.68 billion update

    20 décembre 2023 | Local, Terrestre

    Canadian Army’s network systems get a $1.68 billion update

    “Right now, in Ukraine, we are seeing the fight of tomorrow, where we can learn valuable lessons to help improve our own armed forces,” said Deputy Commander Peter Scott. “Whatever we decide to procure in the future is taking into consideration what’s happening on the battlefield now.”

  • Leadersphère 2022

    29 septembre 2022 | Local, Aérospatial, Naval, Terrestre, C4ISR, Sécurité, Autre défense

    Leadersphère 2022

    Le 29 septembre 2022 – Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Qc – Défense nationale / Forces armées canadiennes Les médias sont conviés au colloque Leadersphère 2022, qui se tiendra le 4 octobre prochain au Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean (CMR Saint-Jean). Le thème de cette édition est « Analyser, décider, agir : Répondre aux défis de sécurité contemporains ». Quels sont les défis auxquels sera confronté le leadership canadien dans l'environnement international? Comment penser un monde en mouvement? Leadersphère 2022 s'articule en trois panels autour des points clés du processus de prise de décision stratégique. Chercheur(-euse)s, ambassadeur(-drice)s, politicien(-ne)s, dirigeant(e)s d'entreprise, militaires seront donc réunis autour d'une même table pour penser le monde de demain. Nous retrouvons parmi les panélistes Dre Caroline Quach-Than, Laure Waridel et Megan MacKenzie, mais aussi l'Ambassadrice Jacqueline O'Neill, la Brigadière-générale Krista Brodie, Madeleine Redfern de CanArctic Inuit Networks Inc. et Martine Saint-Victor de Edelman Canada. Quoi : Colloque Leadersphère 2022 - Analyser, Decider, Agir : Répondre aux défis de sécurité contemporains Quand : 8 h 30 à 17 h 45, le mardi 4 octobre 2022 Où : Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean, 15 boul. Jacques-Cartier Nord, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu (Québec) J3B 8R8 Note au rédacteur en chef / chefs des nouvelles Les représentants des médias sont priés de confirmer leur présence avant 16 h, le lundi 3 octobre, en communiquant avec capitaine Rachel Lefebvre, officier des affaires publiques du CMR Saint-Jean, au 450-358-6777, poste 5733, ou à rachel.lefebvre@forces.gc.ca. Liens connexes Leadersphère 2022 Personnes-ressources Capitaine Rachel Lefebvre Officier des affaires publiques Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean Téléphone : 450-358-6777, poste 5733 Courriel : rachel.lefebvre@forces.gc.ca https://www.canada.ca/fr/ministere-defense-nationale/nouvelles/2022/09/leadersphere-2022.html

Toutes les nouvelles