Back to news

June 19, 2018 | International, Aerospace, Naval

Trump orders creation of independent space force - but Congress will still have its say

and

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday appeared to sign an executive order directing the Pentagon to create a new ”Space Force,” a move that could radically transform the U.S. military by pulling space functions variously owned by the Air Force, Navy and other military branches into a single independent service.

But while the president's support for a new military branch is notable, experts -- and a powerful member of Congress -- believe Trump still needs the support of Congress to make a space force happen.

“I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces,” Trump said during a meeting of the National Space Council.

“That's a big statement. We are going to have the Air Force and we are going to have the Space Force. Separate but equal. It is going to be something. So important,” Trump added. “General Dunford, if you would carry that assignment out, I would be very greatly honored.”

Dunford responded in the affirmative, telling Trump, “We got you.”

According to a White House pool report, the president signed the executive order establishing the Space Force at about 12:36 p.m. EST.

However, a readout issued from the White House later that day of the executive order contained no language related to the creation of a new military branch, leaving open the question of whether Trump has actually issued formal guidance to the military.

The Air Force referred all questions to the Office of the Secretary of Defense, which did not respond immediately to requests for comment.

However, a defense official, speaking on background, said “The Joint Staff will work closely with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, other DoD stakeholders and the Congress to implement the President's guidance."

Trump's support for creating a separate branch for space is a break from his own adminsitration's stance last year, as well as that of Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis.

“At a time when we are trying to integrate the Department's joint warfighting functions, I do not wish to add a separate service that would likely present a narrower and even parochial approach to space operations vice an integrated one we're constructing under our current approach,” Mattis wrote in a 2017 letter to members of Congress.

But in recent months, Trump has signaled he was intrigued by the idea of a stand alone space force, saying in a May 1 speech that “We're actually thinking of a sixth” military branch for space.

At the time, that statement confounded Air Force leaders who had publicly opposed the creation of a separate space service, leading them to adopt a softer tone when talking about the potential for Space Force to avoid being seen as out of step with Trump.

This time, however, Trump's announcement tracks with the Pentagon's schedule for an interim report on whether to establish an independent space corps. Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan said in April that it was on track to be wrapped up on June 1. The final report, which would be sent to Congress, is due in August.

Trump's announcement was characteristically vague, but experts say that any new branch would have to come through an act of Congress.

“The Congress alone has the power to establish a new branch of the military and to establish the positions of senior executive officials to lead such a department,” said Jonathan Turley, a professor at Georgetown University's law school who has studied constitutional issues relating to the military. “While the Pentagon can informally create study or working groups, it has no such authority.”

The president can have the military lay the groundwork for a future new branch, Turley said, which is close to what Trump seemed to be getting at.

By: Kelsey Atherton

“What the President can do is to order the study and proposal for a new branch, which would ultimately go to Congress of any authorization and appropriations,” he said.

Todd Harrison, an expert with the Center for Strategic and International Studies, agreed, tweeting Monday that “The president can't just create a new military service on his own. It requires congressional authorization..”

“So the near-term practical effect of all this is that the president can direct DoD to come up with a plan and start preparing to create a Space Force, but he still needs congress to authorize it,” Harrison continued.

And while sources on Capitol Hill said they believe Trump does have the authority to establish the new military branch, and that their attention will now turn to funding and missions for the new Space Force, at least one Republican member of Congress made his stance clear.

“Establishing a service branch requires congressional action,” House Armed Services Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee chair Mike Turner, R-Ohio. “We still don't know what a Space Force would do, who is going to be in it, or how much is it going to cost.

“The congressionally mandated report evaluating a Space Force to answer those questions is due in August,” Turner added. “After we get the report that we required as a legislative body and the President signed off on, then this issue can be appropriately evaluated for what's best for national security.”

Congress reacts

Trump's announcement also left it unclear whether this new space force will rest under the Department of the Air Force — much like the Marine Corps is a component of the Department of the Navy — or whether a new “Department of the Space Force” will also be created.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala., the head of the House Armed Services strategic forces subcommittee, tweeted out his support for Trump's order. Rogers had previously proposed a separate space service as part of Congress' annual defense policy bill.

However, lawmakers and experts also immediately registered their opposition to the announcement.

Sen. Bill Nelson, (D-Fla.), the top Democrat on the Senate Commerce Committee that oversees nonmilitary space programs, tweeted that now was not the right time to establish a separate space force.

Harrison noted that the infrastructure may already exist to smooth the creation of a space force.

“Creating a Space Force would not necessarily mean a huge increase in funding. We already have space forces within the military, this would just be reorganizing them under a single chain of command,” he tweeted. “Yes, there would be some extra overhead costs, but it doesn't have to be huge.”

But David Deptula, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and currently dean of the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, questioned whether the administration had hammered down the details needed to successfully consolidate the military's space functions into a single service.

“This is another case of ready, fire, aim,” he said.

David Larter, Joe Gould, Tara Copp and Leo Shane III contributed to this report. This story is developing.

On the same subject

  • Defense Department Seeks ‘Rapid Cloud Migration’ Ideas for MilCloud

    September 4, 2018 | International, C4ISR

    Defense Department Seeks ‘Rapid Cloud Migration’ Ideas for MilCloud

    BY FRANK KONKEL MilCloud 2.0 is about to host a lot more data, and the Defense Department wants ideas for how to get it there faster. The Defense Department's technical arm wants to see what capabilities exist in the marketplace to improve the migration of data and applications to milCloud 2.0, the Pentagon's on-premise cloud. On Wednesday, the Defense Information Systems Agency issued a request for informationto industry seeking input on “rapid cloud migration” as it aims to understand capabilities relevant to “automated cloud migration techniques.” The RFI, which does not constitute a solicitation but could lead to one-on-one discussions with vendors, comes three months after Pentagon memo directed all “fourth-estate” defense agencies to migrate all data and applications to milCloud 2.0 by 2020. In the interim, the Office of the Department of Defense Chief Information Officer had planned to coordinate with affected agencies, including DISA, to plan their cloud migrations. MilCloud 2.0 went live earlier this year as part of a three-year, $500 million contract won by CSRA, which has since been purchased by defense contractor General Dynamics. The RFI makes clear the Pentagon's current migration strategy, which includes “manual cloning and conversion of server images, which are then provisioned, into the new cloud environment, or provisioning, building and configuring applications on virtual servers from scratch,” is not sufficient. “This RFI seeks migration solutions that can accurately duplicate the suite of servers used with an application from their current environment into a cloud environment built on Apache CloudStack technology and KVM hypervisor,” the RFI states. “The scope of duplication includes all applications used with the system, configuration of network and network security controls when proper APIs are exposed, and identification of interactions within the application system and to external systems when needed network traffic is made available for analysis.” Options, the RFI says, could include the “use of vendor-provided tools or analytic capabilities if packet captures, or other network monitoring information.” Industry responses must be received by Sept. 10. https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2018/08/defense-department-seeks-rapid-cloud-migration-ideas-milcloud/150934/

  • Les armées lancent le big bang des contrats de maintenance de leurs aéronefs

    January 23, 2019 | International, Aerospace

    Les armées lancent le big bang des contrats de maintenance de leurs aéronefs

    HASSAN MEDDAH L'armée vient de choisir la société Helidax comme nouveau prestataire unique pour la maintenance des hélicoptères Fennec avec diminution quasiment par deux des coûts à l'heure de vol. Le contrat Rafale sera notifié d'ici l'été. Avec l'idée de responsabiliser les industriels à travers des contrats globaux et de longue durée. A l'occasion de ses vœux aux Armées prononcés le 21 janvier, la ministre Florence Parly a fait part d'une réussite : elle a annoncé le premier contrat en matière de maintenance aéronautique (MCO) d'un nouveau type, avec une baisse sensible des coûts à l'heure de vol, en contractualisant avec un seul maître d'œuvre industriel. "Je viens aujourd'hui même de prendre la décision de notifier le premier contrat de MCO « new look », un MCO « verticalisé » pour les hélicoptères de formation Fennec de l'armée de l'Air. C'est un contrat qui prévoit plus d'activité pour un coût moindre. Je vous donne un chiffre : avec ce contrat, le coût d'une heure de vol passe de 3 500 à 1 800 euros. C'est presque moitié moins. C'est la preuve que notre stratégie était la bonne". Même si cet essai doit être confirmé par d'autres contrats pour des flottes d'appareils plus complexes (Rafale, A400M, Tigre, Cougar...), la ministre est en train de gagner son pari. En décembre 2017, elle frappait du point sur la table concernant la disponibilité calamiteuse des aéronefs militaires : moins d'un appareil sur deux était en situation de voler. Elle annonçait alors la création d'une nouvelle direction de la maintenance aéronautique (DMAé) pour remettre d'équerre le maintien en condition opérationnelle des aéronefs militaires. Des contrats de longue durée Depuis sa création en avril 2018, la direction de la maintenance aéronautique vient donc de signer son premier contrat pour attribuer la maintenance de la flotte des 18 FENNEC de l'école de formation des pilotes de de l'armée de Terre, basée au Luc en Provence (83). L'armée va confier au groupement industriel Helidax les 18 Fennec, le stock de pièces de rechange et également la maintenance de proximité. Le prestataire va s'implanter sur la base et s'engage à fournira les heures de vol demandées. "C'est le premier appel d'offres global de ce type de la DMAé. Notre objectif est désormais de responsabiliser les industriels en exigeant de leur part une véritable obligation de performance et non plus de moyens", explique Monique Legrand-Larroche, directrice de la DMAé. En échange, l'armée s'engage sur des contrats de longue durée, entre 5 à 10 ans, permettant à ses fournisseurs de mieux s'organiser. Plus précisément, Helidax s'engage à fournir entre 3 000 et 5 600 heures de vol par an. Les années précédentes, les équipages en formation n'avaient pu voler que moins de 3 000 heures sur les 3 500 heures nécessaires. L'armée a fait jouer la compétition. "Nous ferons jouer la compétition dès que c'est possible. Dans le cadre du contrat Fennec, nous avons reçu plusieurs offres pertinentes", se félicite la directrice de la DMAé. Selon nos sources, AirbusHelicopters n'aurait pas candidaté. Le nombre de contrats a été réduit en signant uniquement deux contrats – un pour le moteur et un pour le reste de l'appareil - contre une quinzaine auparavant. 4 contrats pour le Rafale au lieu de 22 La Dmaé finalise désormais le contrat Rafale. La notification devrait intervenir avant l'été. "L'objectif est de consolider la disponibilité sur le long terme quelle que soit la conjoncture comme le chantier d'implémentation du standard F3R qui vise à moderniser l'appareil"explique Monique Legrand Larroche. Il y aura seulement 4 contrats contre les 22 actuellement. Les autres flottes qui seront traitées en priorité sont pour les avions, l'Atlantique 2 et l'A400M, et pour les hélicoptères, le Cougar, le Caracal, le Dauphin et le Panther. https://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/les-armees-lancent-le-big-bang-des-contrats-de-maintenance-de-leurs-aeronefs.N796305

  • Space Reverse Industry Event

    January 9, 2024 | International, Aerospace

    Space Reverse Industry Event

    NATO is expanding its space radar to build closer relations with space industries. NATO is inviting the commercial space sector to its Space Reverse Industry Event on 20 February 2024 in Brussels to give a new impetus to dialogue and engagement with this growing sector.

All news